Nursery Admissions Policy
Nursery places are available for 38 weeks of the year. All children applying to our Nursery are entitled to a part time place (15 hours a week for 38 weeks of the year) starting the term after their third birthday.
Full time places will be given to children whose parent(s) qualify for 30 hours free childcare under the government legislation.
Discovery Primary school currently offers the equivalent of 104 part time places. Both universal 15 hour places as well as some extended places of 30 hours are available. Parents are asked to specify whether they want a 15 hour or 30 hour place on their application form. The number of part time and full time places vary according to demand but there is a maximum of 24 full time places (30 hour extended entitlement places) available at any one time. These 30 hour places are distributed based on the criteria below.
Criteria for Admission to the Nursery
The Governors of the school will offer children a place in the Nursery for the term after their third birthday, according to the criteria in the following order of priority:
- Children who are in the care of the Royal Borough of Greenwich. (Looked After Children).
- Children who have a Statement of Special Educational Needs which names the school.
- Children of a permanent member of staff.
- Children who will be 3 years old before the academic year of their admission.
- Siblings (including foster brothers and sisters who live at the same address) currently attending Discovery Primary School in the September of the year of the Nursery child admission.
- The distance between the child’s home address and the school. A child’s home address is defined as the address where he or she resides with an adult with parental responsibility for the majority of their school nights. In cases where a child spends equal time living at two different homes over the course of the year, the address that is most favourable to the application will be considered as the home address.
Within the above criteria, each application is always considered very carefully on its individual needs. No preferential treatment is given to children who already attend our 2 year old provision (Adventure Class)
For further information please see the full Nursery Admissions Policy click this Link
Application for Reception at Discovery
The admission limit for Reception at Discovery is 90 - 30 in each class. Children will be admitted into Reception in the term after their fourth birthday. Places are allocated by a strict process controlled by the Royal Borough of Greenwich Admissions section. Applications are completed online. Information can be obtained by following this link.
Year 6 Transition Meeting
Applying for Secondary Schools 2019-2020
Use this website to submit your application, regardless where you live.
Read the admission booklet (Greenwich) to find out about the schools in the local area.
Visit the local schools – use the open day dates, please inform Discovery school office about your visits.
Refer to the admission policy for each school to check the likelihood of getting a place, you can also use the interactive map provided on this website, to check their catchment areas.
Ensure all 6 choices are used, only apply for a selective school if your child is deemed selective.
Complete the application by 31st October 2019.